The Commonwealth Scholarship ("Scholarship") is awarded to outstanding graduate students from Commonwealth countries for research leading to a higher degree at the University. This Scholarship is for new, incoming students who are not Singapore citizens or permanent residents. The Scholarship consists of a monthly stipend plus a tuition fee subsidy.
The Scholarship is open to candidates who meet the following criteria:
- nationals from any Commonwealth countries except for Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents;
- have graduated with an undergraduate degree with at least Second Class Honours (Upper Division)/Honours (Distinction) or equivalent;
- at the time of award of the Scholarship, must have been offered admission to a full-time graduate research programme at NUS; and
- must be eligible for MOE Subsidy1
1Please click here for Eligibility Guidelines for MOE Subsidy
- A monthly stipend as follows:
For PhD candidates: For Master’s candidates: International Student S$2,000 S$1,500
- Tuition fees at the University.
- Scholars in a PhD programme may be eligible for an additional stipend of up to $500 per month upon passing the PhD Qualifying Examination (QE), which is normally held 12 to 18 months after registration of candidature. The additional stipend is renewable each semester subject to good performance and duration of the additional stipend varies among the different faculties and schools.
The Scholarship is tenable for an initial 1 year and, subject to the Research Scholar’s satisfactory progress, renewable per semester up to a maximum of 1-2 years for Master’s candidates and 3-4 years for PhD candidates, as determined by the University.
Upon receiving the call for nominations, department shall evaluate and nominate suitable candidates for this scholarship.
Notification of Award
Successful applicants will be informed of the outcome of their applications sometime in May (for admission in August) or October (for admission in January).
Terms and Conditions
Successful applicants are required to sign a letter of undertaking agreeing to observe the terms and conditions for the award of the Scholarship. A copy of the current terms and conditions can be assessed here.
The above information is subject to change at any time. For the latest updates on the Scholarship, please refer to the graduate division of the relevant faculty or school at http://www.nus.edu.sg/admissions/graduate-studies/graduate-programme-contacts.php