Thank you for your interest in CAMRI's 7-day Graduate Certificate in Applied Portfolio Management (g-CAPM) open-enrolment programme. The May 2015, November 2015, November 2016 and May 2017 g-CAPM programme runs were a success with good overall programme ratings and feedback by the participants. We expect to run a few g-CAPM programmes each year in the CAMRI Lab at NUS Business School, Singapore. The next programme run is from 20 - 26 November 2017, now open for registration. Kindly read the details of the g-CAPM programme, and then indicate further down below in rank-order (1 – most important, 7 – least important), which modules and dates you are interested to participate in.
|Separately, please fill up an e-Survey on CAMRI's potential Executive Masters in Investments & Risk Management (EMIR) Programme at NUS Business School. It will only take 5 minutes of your time. Thank you.|
CAMRI, NUS Business School is registered with CFA Institute as an Approved Provider of Continuing Education (CE) programmes. As a participant in the CFA institute Approved-Provider Programme, CAMRI has determined that the g-CAPM programme qualifies for 40 CE credit hours. If you are a CFA Institute member, credit for your participation in this programme will be automatically recorded in your CE tracking tool.
If you would like to go ahead and register, please click on the Apply Now link.
Who Should Attend | Programme Schedule | Fees | Financial Training Scheme | CFA Institute CE Accreditation | Teaching Ground | Testimonials | e-Brochure | Enquiries | Register Your Interest | Apply Now
The CAMRI Applied Portfolio Management Programme is a 7-day state-of-the-art applied portfolio management training programme at NUS Business School, Singapore, developed by academic professionals for investment professionals, and conducted at the world's most advanced Investment Management & Trading Lab. By the end of this course participants are expected to research, write, and publish equity & fixed income investment reports, build simple multifactor models for screening and alpha generation purposes, perform live & backtested portfolio investment strategies to develop the participants' equity research, stock-picking and credit skills, and perform portfolio optimisation and risk management analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of methodologies & models used in theory and in practice - Multifactor Models, Fixed Income & Currencies, Liquidity, Value Enhancement Strategies and the Global Economy
- Hands-on computational finance, risk & portfolio management, and trading & execution abilities
- An understanding of hedge fund and alternative investment strategies, manager due diligence
PART 1: Quantitative Techniques by Professor Richard Yeh (Senior Advisor, CAMRI)
Part 1 of this course is an advanced training seminar in state-of-the-art financial management techniques, drawing on Modern Portfolio Theory. It will serve as a comprehensive real world examination of the quantitative techniques available in portfolio management, and how these might be applied to the investment management industry. Topics covered include Bayes-Stein shrinkage estimation, Monte Carlo simulations & Resampling, Black-Litterman Model, and dealing with asynchronous and missing data using Stambaugh-Efron methodology. Part 1 is for 2.5 days.
PART 2: Fundamental Investing in Asia by Professor Robert Lewis (Member, Advisory Council, CAMRI)
Part 2 of this course will highlight the skills necessary from a theoretical and practical standpoint for investing using a "fundamental" approach. The course aims to apply traditional Graham & Dodd "deep value" investment theory with the practical challenges of investing in Asian equity markets. Participants will gain practical experience in fundamental research techniques including interviewing company management, and doing company and sector due diligence to determine corporate governance strengths, quality of accounting information, fraud detection, etc., and financial statement modeling. Part 2 is for 1.5 days.
PART 3: Fixed Income and Currencies ("FIC") by Professor Ganesh Ramchandran
We provide insights into interest rate, FX and credit markets and products, from an industry insider's perspective. The focus will be on valuation and risk management in "FIC", with real-life examples from the banking and hedge fund world. The training will emphasize practical case study applications, including asset-liability management, cross currency swaps, and an in-depth analysis of infamous derivative "accidents" in history. Part 3 is for 1.5 days.
PART 4: Securities Valuation, Risk & Portfolio Management by Professor Joseph Cherian (Director, CAMRI)
Part 4 of this course will serve as a comprehensive real world examination of the quantitative, fundamental, behavioral, and model-based approaches utilized for performing securities valuation in the financial industry. Major topics covered include Relative Valuation, building Multifactor Models, Liquidity, Behavioral Finance, Portfolio & Risk Management, and Value Enhancement Strategies. Lectures will include hands-on lab projects, interaction with practitioners from the industry, and real-life portfolio management examples. Part 4 is for 1 day.
PART 5: Current Issues in the Global Economy Affecting Portfolio Management by Professor Kim Sun Bae (former Chief Economist - Asia, Goldman Sachs)
This part of the course highlights some of the key changes unfolding in the macroeconomic and policy front, both globally and within Asia, which will shape the investment landscape over the near- to medium-term. Some of the current burning issues to be covered include: Prospects and risks of monetary policy "normalization" in the US; Rebalancing in China and its implications for Asia and the world; and Financial regulation post the global financial crisis. Lectures will apply some of the tools (models) of macroeconomics and international finance in framing these issues. Part 5 is for half a day.
Please click here for a g-CAPM detailed syllabus.
Portfolio managers, analysts, and risk managers with 3 - 5 years of experience who are looking to reinvigorate their quantitative, fundamental, portfolio and risk management skills in equities and fixed income. In addition, the participants will also be exposed to a real-time macroeconomic view on current global issues affecting investment management. The programme is also relevant for those planning to make the switch from operations and administration-type functions in financial institutions to the front office, and who already have basic knowledge of investments and financial analysis.
Watch This Space For Upcoming Run: 21 - 27 May 2018 | 19 - 25 November 2018 | 27 May - 2 June 2019
14 November - 20 November 2016 g-CAPM Programme Schedule (Registration is now closed) | View Photos
16 November - 22 November 2015 g-CAPM Programme Schedule (Registration is now closed) | View Photos
Programme Fee: US$7,000
CFA Institute Member Rate: US$6,300
While not encouraged, modules can also be taken on an individual basis. However, a certificate will only be issued upon completion of the 7-day g-CAPM programme.
- Quantitative Techniques by Professor Richard Yeh - US$2,750 (2.5 days)
- Fundamental Investing in Asia by Professor Robert Lewis and Fixed Income and Currencies ("FIC") by Professor Ganesh Ramchandran - US$3,300 (3 days)
- Securities Valuation, Risk & Portfolio Management by Professor Joseph Cherian and Current Issues in the Global Economy affecting Portfolio Management by Professor Kim Sun Bae - US$1,650 (1.5 days)
Financial Training Scheme – Eligible
The 7-day g-CAPM programme is approved for listing on the Financial Training Scheme (FTS) Programme Directory and is eligible for FTS claims subject to all eligibility criteria being met.
Please note that in no way does this represent an endorsement of the quality of the training provider and programme. Participants are advised to assess the suitability of the programme and its relevance to participants' business activities or job roles.
The FTS is available to eligible entities, at a 50% funding level of programme fees subject to all eligibility criteria being met. FTS claims may only be made for programmes listed on the FTS Programme Directory with the specified validity period. Please refer to www.ibf.org.sg for more information.
CAMRI, NUS Business School is registered with CFA Institute as an Approved Provider of Continuing Education (CE) programmes.
As a participant in the CFA institute Approved-Provider Programme, CAMRI has determined that the g-CAPM programme qualifies for 40 CE credit hours. If you are a CFA Institute member, credit for your participation in this programme will be automatically recorded in your CE tracking tool.
The state-of-the-art CAMRI Investment Management & Trading Lab enhances participants' hands-on applied portfolio research & management experience and activity. It is an integrated teaching and learning financial laboratory with a main projector and large white screen, 6 LED monitors, white boards and flip charts, 32 financial workstations, as well as integrated audio and video equipment connectivity for interactive and team-learning purposes. The 32 financial workstations are each equipped with Bloomberg live feeds, live financial data tickers, MSCI-Barra investment and risk management software, and various other financial applications.
- "We sent our staff to the CAMRI Portfolio Management training programme, which was highly interactive, where the professors were very experienced, and had a good combination of academic and industry backgrounds. They were also very helpful in order to ensure our staff understood the topics and exercises given. It certainly helped sharpen their knowledge in analyzing companies on a fundamental and quantitative basis, as well as to manage and monitor investment portfolios." (Dato' Mohamad Nasir Abdul Latif, CIO and Deputy CEO, Malaysian Employees Provident Fund (EPF))
- "The g-CAPM programme introduced practical applications of theory in actual asset management with hands-on construction of models, assisted by excellent student assistants which made a huge difference to my experience.” (Rachel Teo, Senior Vice President, GIC Singapore)
- "The g-CAPM programme had many timely topics which gave us ideas on how to approach investment problems. The programme's key strength is the faculty members from diverse backgrounds with relevant industry experiences to share."(Kelvin Tang, Associate, GIC Singapore)
- "The programme had interesting and valuable insights from industry veterans of a high academic and professional calibre, who have collective experiences in both investing and trading." (Catherine Cheung, Director, Product Development and Management, Pan Asia, UBS Global Asset Management, Hong Kong)
- "The highlight of the programme was the portfolio optimization & risk management sections and the strength of the programme was the academic lecturers who shared their valuable industry experience over the 7-day course."(Audri Muhammad Fajar, Treasury Dealer, PT Bank Mandiri, Indonesia)
- "The biggest strength of the g-CAPM programme was the blending of both quantitative & fundamental analysis for portfolio management."(Chairi Pitono, Director, Astra Pension Fund, Indonesia)
- "CAMRI's g-CAPM programme was a great success and a highly-regarded programme for investment professionals. The great organisation and excellent standards of the lecturers made it possible for us to learn so much within a week. CAMRI holds a very high standard, and the g-CAPM programme exemplifies best practices in asset management."(Robert Du, Professional Investor, Hong Kong)
- “CAMRI’s g-CAPM programme exposed me to various methodologies and models. This included non-synchronous, missing data and estimation errors, the blending of quantitative and fundamental investing techniques, as well as taking into consideration liquidity in portfolio and risk management. The relevant materials and topics covered provided me with a different perspective on how to approach various issues, and better understand the macro picture, which would be extremely applicable to my work.”(Loke Wei Wern, Associate Director, CIMB-Principal Asset Management, Malaysia)
- “The programme included many relevant materials which were integral in aiding the learning process. It allowed for a greater volume of financial skills and strategies to be picked up within a mere 7 days Value investing and economics were especially useful; the latter left me with a better understanding of the US’ and China’s macroeconomy.”(Tanmay Shah, Director, Shah Investors Home, India)
- “I was thoroughly impressed by the vast spectrum of topics covered in this 7-day g-CAPM programme. The experience was made even better by the excellent professors, as well as networking opportunities, scattered through the programme.”(Marcus Wong, Credit Analyst, Schroder Investment Management Singapore)
- “This programme allowed me to better appreciate what my colleagues at the risk and investment department do, particularly through the use of Excel for risk and financial calculations, whilst instilling greater technical knowledge. The CDS illustrations and valuation models, with real life examples and trades, were especially useful.”(Aaron Tan, Business Development Manager, Schroder Investment Management Singapore)
- “A highly-relevant programme especially for those in the asset management industry. Experienced professors used real-life examples to allow for better understanding of key financial models as well as skills to model an efficient portfolio in Excel, implement the Black-Litterman model, various valuation frameworks, the instruments & assets found in the credit space, including some interesting trades, and greater knowledge of Bloomberg and Barra.”(Edmund Chan, Client Executive, Schroder Investment Management Singapore)
- "The programme was an enriching experience of advanced facilities and sophisticated teaching by excellent professors at CAMRI. The curriculum was well-designed and substantial. We learned the application of Excel and Bloomberg in analysing portfolios, and had a deep and comprehensive understanding of the financial industry in Singapore." (Excerpted from various China Summer Institute at NUS Business School participants' feedback, July 2013)
According to Quaquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings® 2016, National University of Singapore is the:
- 12th top university in the world.
- 12th top university in the world for business & management studies.
- 14th top university in the world for finance and accounting.
According to Financial Times Executive Education Rankings 2017, NUS Business School’s Customised Executive Education programme is ranked 14th in the world, maintaining its place in the world’s top 20 programmes, while the School placed 56th in the global rankings for Open-Enrolment Executive Education programmes.
Download a copy here (May 2017 version)
Our preferred hotel is Park Hotel Alexandra, which is located about 15 minutes away from campus via taxi.
NUS also has corporate rates with hotels in the Orchard Road area; these include Park Avenue Rochester, Hotel Jen Tanglin, Regent Singapore, Four Seasons Hotel, Pan Pacific Orchard, Orchard Hotel and Hilton Singapore. For the Marina Bay area, you may consider Fairmont Singapore, Pan Pacific Singapore, Marina Mandarin and The Ritz Carlton, Millenia Singapore.